Wednesday, January 6, 2010

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD

i swear i know how to use Enter to space properly...Blogger is being ridiculous.
I thought I would start 2010 off with a little friendship.
Some of you may have already done this. Some of you (like me) may have never heard of this.
A friend of mine at work gave me a Friendship Bag to start my bread with, and I got to thinking of all the people that I would want to give one of my Friendship Bags to. Most of which live much too far away for me to hand deliver a Bag to (ie. Debbi, Sarah, Tara, Heather). Most of which read this blog (ie. who knows anymore!?). I decided to post the instructions...along with the "Starter" information (which would normally be hand delivered to you) on my blog.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* Do not use a metal spoon or bowl.
* Do not refrigerate (even though is seems a little weird not to)
DAY 1 - DO NOTHING (if your friend has hand delivered the starter bag to you).
(Alternate) DAY 1 - (if you have a friend like me!) In a small bowl, dissolve 1-.25 ounce package of active dry yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
DAY 2 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 3 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 4 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 5 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 6 - ADD 1 CUP PLAIN FLOUR, 1 CUP SUGAR, 1 CUP MILK
DAY 7 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 8 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 9 - KNEAD BAG (or stir)
DAY 10 - ADD 1 CUP PLAIN FLOUR, 1 CUP SUGAR, 1 CUP MILK
Stir and pour into 4 large ziplock bags (1 cup to each bag). Keep 1 for yourself and give 3 away to friends. Pour what is left into a big bowl and add:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix Well
In a separate bowl, mix:
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts and/or raisins
1 large box vanilla instant pudding mix
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients together. Pour into 2 large loaf pans - well greased and floured. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon on top. Bake at 325 for 1 hour.
Makes 2 large loaves plus 4 bags of starter.
**Chocolate Variation**
add 3 tablesspoons of cocoa
use chocolate pudding vs. vanilla pudding
add chocolate chips vs. nuts/raisins
Happy New Year, Friends!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy New Year to you! :) I have heard this bread is absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe! Truth be told, I am absolutely horrible at continuing chains so I'm happy to not have to! :)

The Perry Family said...

oh, i can't wait to do this!!!! thanks girlie!! :) hope everything is going well with you and your fam! love ya lots! :)

Tara said...

Thanks for the recipe!! Hope the new year is off to a great start for you!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you send, will look progressive for more interrelated articles soon as its one of my pet subject-matter to read.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.